The weekend finally brought in the (dreaded) cold weather! On Friday I could even see my breath (which is one of my favorite things about cold weather)! Luckily my mom sent me all my hats/scarves/gloves/long johns last week, so I'm prepared.
This blog is either going to be really short or really long. It depends on how much I can remember from the past two weeks. And, the blog is dedicated to Morgan Gooch, who asked for an update! :) Come visit!
The first weekend of October (can you believe its already mid-October?!?!?!), Saturday the 3rd I guess, I went to a performance art show called "store" by
Matsune + Subal. IT WAS SO FUN! I had no idea art could make you lol (laugh out loud, for you old folk). When you walked into the stark, empty white room the host handed you a menu, much like being at a restaurant. The artists were there to explain the pieces; there was art to consume on the spot, take home, or have mailed. I bought a Marilyn Monroe and James Dean copy. One of the guys would get up on the platform and imitate the person, it got kind of awkward when they stared right at me, since I was the purchaser. Another person bought something called Trusted since 1542 (or something like that) and we were taken down to the basement where they had physical pieces of art, like paintings and sculptures. The girl ended up buying a pencil drawing of Matsune and Subal in a teepee with the "store" logo on it and the date 1492. "See," said Subal, "Aren't you glad you're doing business with people that have been around forever." The most interactive purchase someone made was titled "Big Bang Reconstructed." With two rolls of masking tape, the artists spread everyone throughout the room and proceeded to run around as fast as they could while placing tape up, down, around, in between and behind people. Once everyone was connected, even the mirror on the can sitting outside the entrance, they started deconstructing the tape. Every few strands or so, they would ball it up and place it somewhere. I had a wad sitting on my shoulder. These "mini-bangs" were then combined in the center of the room with the artists pushing them all together and shaking as if it was full of force. All of a sudden, they flung themselves and the giant wad of tape against the window, bowed and walked to the back of the room. It was great! The best part was that what one person bought, everyone enjoyed. Some pictures:


I finally had some visitors!!!! On Sunday, Aunt Laurie and Sara came to visit. I spent the day being a tourist with them and it was a blast. We started with brunch then headed to 5th avenue to do some shopping. I can't believe Sara is in 9th grade and shopping at the same types of stores I do! Crazy! After a couple of stops we headed to Jersey Boys. It made it to my number 2/3 spot for favorite Broadway shows! (dad, if you had majored in theater, I think this would have been your starring role). After the show we ventured into the Times Square Toys 'R' Us and Sara and I rode the Ferris wheel. We were lucky and rode in Barbies convertible!!! Next, we traveled into Brooklyn so they could see the promenade and where I live. We had a pretty good dinner at the Heights Cafe and walked back to the subway. It was so nice to see some family!
Then I had a week of school/work.
The next weekend was maybe one of my favorites so far! After spending all day Saturday working on a paper, Alex, Maryssa, and I went to the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens on Sunday afternoon (no, I did not forget the -al. It is just botanic). It is absolutely gorgeous. We walked around and saw a wedding reception, multiple fountains and a rose garden. We even laid down in the grass and starred at the sky. The air was so crisp and cool but the sun was shining bright to keep you warm. We even took our shoes off and walked through the grass. Getting back in touch with nature, without buildings or noise or smokers, was a much needed rejuvenation.
Annnnnnnnd, another week of work/school. Although, I got to meet Kaley Cuoco from "The Big Bang Theory!"
Except: Wednesday was my birthday. Yuck. I absolutely detest getting old. BUT all the phone calls/texts/messages made it better. I did some shopping and bought a new pair of boots and some brown flats (flats are an absolute must around here). After class, the whole group got together and sang happy birthday to me and we had cake! THANK YOU SO MUCH! Especially to Alex and Rachel, who organized the whole thing. The cake was chocolate with mocha icing from Billy's Bakery, my favorite!


Fall break at Baylor gave New York an influx of Bears! I went on a movie tour, where you see film set sites, with my friend Elizabeth then went to a millinery shop with her and her sister. I'd never been to a real hat store and was quite impressed. Sunday morning I had breakfast with them at the Stardust Diner, where the waiters sing and dance as they try to make it to Broadway! It was fun and I'd like to go back (hint hint Lauren and Mom and Kim and Lisa and Liz). I spent a rainy Sunday reading, catching up on Glee and Grey's Anatomy, and oh yeah, taking a 3 hour nap!
Its Monday now and I'm at work trying to resist the extra large jar of old fashioned sourdough pretzels.
I hope you're having a happy day. I MISS YOU!
Love keeping up with your blog!!!
ReplyDelete